On Wednesday, we’ll start off the morning with a ferry ride across the James River, and then a short drive to the Chippokes Plantation State Park, one of the oldest continually-farmed plantations in the country. We will participate in a guided tour of the plantation.
- We’ll meet near the DoubleTree front desk at 8:45, then head out at 8:50 for the ferry.
- We’ll board the 9:30 ferry (arrive 15-30 minutes early), then meet at 10:15 in the parking lot of Chippokes Plantation State Park, 695 Chippokes Park Rd., Surry, VA 23883. The best GPS location for the Jamestown side of the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry is 2110 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, Virginia 23185.
- After the tour, you may explore some more on your own, or take the ferry back across the river and join us for lunch (please pack your own), play, and swimming at Jamestown Beach Park.
- For the trip back, the Scotland ferry terminal is at 16289 Rolfe Highway, Surry, Virginia 23883. Jamestown Beach Park is at 2205 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185.
- Please bring cash to pay for your tour of Chippokes Plantation State Park, which costs $3 per child age 7-18; children under 7 and adults are free, and parking is included in price of the tour. The ferry is free in both directions.
Thursday we will have a 1.5 hour tour of American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. We’ll see the founding of our nation as we explore their new indoor gallery. On our tour we’ll visit a Revolution-era farm where we can see life as it was in colonial times. Then we’ll visit a Continental Army encampment. We’ll learn about the life of a soldier during the Revolutionary War. Afterward, you can eat lunch at the picnic tables at the museum, or take a short drive and check out Yorktown Beach, next to Riverwalk Landing at 331 Water Street, Yorktown.
- American Revolution Museum at Yorktown is located about 20 minutes from the DoubleTree hotel, at 200 Water Street, Route 1020, Yorktown, VA 23690.
- Discount group tour tickets must be purchased via the LDSHE website by May 16. Regular price tickets are available the day of the event, but you may not be able to join us on the tour.
- We'll meet in the museum parking lot at 9:15am for our 9:30 am tour.
On Friday, Dads and Kids activities are on-site at the DoubleTree.
- We will have indoor and outdoor activities and games from 9:30am until noon.
- We'll meet for swimming at the pool in the afternoon.
- We'll join everyone else for the keynote speaker at 4pm.
- We'll meet in the amphitheater at 9:30 to get started.
Please fill out this Webform to RSVP for any of these activities.